Job Description - Staff Engineer
Position Title: Staff Engineer
Reports To: Sr. Project Manager
FSLA Status: Exempt
Last Updated: January 2022
The Structural Staff Engineer is under the direct stewardship of the Sr. Project Manager (PM). It is intended to be a development and training opportunity for non-licensed engineers coming out of college. This position will assist with the acquirement of professional experience. It will provide the flexibility to work on a wide variety of design projects, construction materials / means and methods, under the direct mentoring of licensed professional engineers.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Drafting, Design, and Plan Development
- Prepare Construction Documents under the oversight and direction of PM
- Contribute to product development via delegated tasks in collaboration with PM
- Direct Design support for varying single and multi-family projects under the direction of PM
- Spearhead design tasks across varying market sectors and construction means/materials/methods
- Performs preliminary wind load design for coordination with delegated design of pre-manufactured building components, under the direction of PM
- Research and evaluate new/alternative products to valuate template program alternatives.
- Review and evaluate building codes and product specifications.
- Advanced design opportunities are available at the discretion of the PM
- Construction Administration Services
- Assist in Field calls, RFI’s, generate solutions and issue revisions and addenda under the supervision of the PM
- Professional Development
- Correspond directly with clients, design professionals and contractors.
- Attend and participate in meetings with clients and other design professionals.
- Project Tracking and Communication
- Maintain log of work performed
- Effectively track time and job status to maintain efficient workflow
- Efficient and competent use of project tracking software
- Report to and communicate effectively with PM & Clients regarding project status
- Use available resources efficiently and effectively
- All other assigned duties
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering required, on track for professional licensure
- Intermediate Knowledge of AutoCAD/Revit/Applicable Discipline Specific software
- Intermediate Knowledge of Forte, Enercalc, Ram Elements, Boise Design Software, Deltek, Revit preferred
- Successful Completion of Fundamentals of Engineering Exam preferred
- Beginner knowledge of various construction techniques and the Building Code
- Deltek experience preferred
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Detail oriented
- Demonstrate proficiency in managing multiple tasks, setting priorities, and meeting deadlines
- Ability to problem solve and make independent decisions.
- Experience in fast paced work environment
- Ability to professionally represent the company through our Core Values
- Ability to successfully interact with all organizational levels and public
- Proficiency in English Language, reading, spoken, and written
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
General Office Environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands and fingers, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, and talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk.
The employee may be required to lift and/or move up to 25lbs.